Monday, December 28, 2009

Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon



November 2009

This book surprised me...A LOT! This was the first book picked for our newly formed Book Club! Having to read it for a book club I initially was not enticed by the back cover blurb nor did the description online seem like a book I might select. I struggled a lot with this book in the beginning. Forcing myself to sit on the couch and read while having a looming deadline and two hyper pups surrounding me, I tediously read this story.

After about the first 200 pages the speed picked up and it became a very interesting story as the pages unfolded mystery, suspense and murder. It’s hard to say that I would recommend this book to anyone as the story makes you confused, angry and at times, question the moral beliefs that people can have. One member of our book club mentioned wanting to "throw it across the room" at times while others from our club had not finished reading the book, having gotten lost in the first hundred or so pages.

If you have read this story, I'd love to get a discussion thread going here on the comments. Please let me know!

Due to the speed and at time, overly detailed descriptions, on my five star scale, I’d give this story a 4.0.


No comments:

Post a Comment