Monday, December 28, 2009

One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell


December 2009

Let me begin by declaring Candace Bushnell’s "Sex in the City" as one of my all-time favorite television series. Hence, I had a lot of big hopes when deciding to read some of her books, as my sister recommended. I picked up One Fifth Avenue at Costco and began reading it for fun this past summer. Trips up north I would pick up the book and read, but then books for school got in the way and eventually the beginning of a new school year stopped me at about 200 pages in – or around halfway.

With Winter Break here I decided to re-read what I had already read not remembering in its entirety the 200 or so pages I had read. What a HILARIOUS book! I cannot believe how many different plots were running at the same time yet they were all interlaced and each reflected another. The characters were hilarious while being devious and often very much up in one another’s business. For a light-hearted enjoyable read, I’d recommend this book. Having just read Sarah's Key, I needed characters like the Mindy Gooch and Schiffer Diamond who all live at the One Fifth Avenue building. It’s important to pay careful attention to the characteristics of each person in the story as picture as you visualize some of the crazy scenarios and antics they were often tangled up within.

This book gets a 4 out of 5 stars for me. I think it’d be ranked higher if I had sat and read it all from the beginning one time. Having totally forgot what happened after a few months, I can’t give this book a higher ranking since I try to read books "I will remember"!

No comments:

Post a Comment