Sunday, July 10, 2011

Kate Jacobs - Comfort Food (May 2008)


I received this book from two good friends and really appreciated the thought that went into picking it off of my "Books in the Bookcase Waiting to be Read" list, my own personal reading wish list on the blog! This is a list of books I want to read, but do not own...

Having just finished reading the HUGE and INTENSE Ken Follett book, World Without End, I was eager to find a good chick lit! Kate Jacobs is one of my favorites because I was ready a few years ago to move to New York and join The Friday Night Knitting Club! Comfort Food provided comfort to me, no brutal 12th and 13th Century lifestyles with unnecessary violence!

You will want to get to know the main character of Jacob's novel personally, Augusta "Gus" Simpson, as she tells most of the story from her perspective recalling tragedy that befell on her young family and how that propelled her to be everyone's provider and protector! Not only wanting to solve all of her daughter's problems, she looks out for her work colleagues, extended family and closest friend, next-door neighbor, Hannah.

Gus is a national name on the CookingChannel, one of their biggest celebrity chefs, complete with her own line of cookbooks and cooking utensils! As reality TV mixed with big names of Rachel Ray and Emeril begin to break through in popularity in TV ratings, Gus feels the world she once knew as secure, slipping away. Having two grown daughters who clearly need their space from mom but love her dearly, as well as an upcoming 50th birthday, Gus questions everything.

Her TV show Gusto with Gus has slipped in the ratings and Gus faces her biggest challenge from the Network President when he gives her a co-host and changes her pre-recorded 30 minute shows to one-hour shows taped live from the grand kitchen in her extravagant home.

You will want Gus in your life as you read her story! I even told my husband tonight how sorry I am that the book was only 330 or so pages that ends with a conclusion that leaves little room for a sequel!

Thank you Angie and Joyce, this was just the Comfort Food I needed, without the dairy or calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment