Sunday, May 22, 2011

Something Borrowed & Something Blue both by Emily Giffin



I read these two books in order in hard copy simultaneously with Jen Lancaster's Bright Lights, Big Ass (May 2007) on my iPad! Transitioning to books on the iPad has been an event that I could not take lightly... I love the feel of a book in my hand and the emotional satisfaction of turning a page or completing a chapter! I enjoy putting a book back up on the shelf, completed. Hence, I read Something Borrowed with lightning speed and then progressed on to Something Blue, the sequel to Something Borrowed while my book on the iPad sat waiting on the coffee table.
You will fall for these characters. You will choose Team Rachel or Team Darcy. You may even go between the two, rooting for the original plan or rooting for what fate has in the works for these two ladies. You will take sides and then question what if this happened in your own life? You will want to see the movie just to see how Hollywood portrays these characters.
It's New York City and two best friends since elementary school have well established lives and routines. Rachel, single, is a practicing lawyer at a big firm downtown and Darcy, is a popular publicist also in the city. Darcy and her fiance Dex have plans to marry in the summer and of course Rachel is Darcy's Maid of Honor. To know how the relationship has worked for decades, you must understand that Darcy has always outshone Rachel, and Rachel has accepted the role of living in Darcy's shadow.  While growing up in a small town in Indiana, the girls remained tight while Darcy was always popular and well liked, and Rachel remained in the background, the brains of the duo. This all changes when they get drunk on Rachel's 30th birthday party and what has seemed right, Darcy and Dex, may no longer be the case!
Instead of feeling guilty about what she has done, Rachel comes to realize that she's only really ever loved Dex, and that she is "good" enough to have Dex over Darcy.  A surprise twist at the end will make you gasp at Darcy's reaction... definitely not what I was expecting. And good enough to make me want to read the sequel RIGHT AWAY!
I would like to blog more about the sequel, but here's the dilemma... If I say anymore, such as, "here's what happens in the second book..." I will be giving away the ending of the first. Look at the titles, Something Borrowed and Something Blue. If you can't figure it out, it's time you pick up these books! (20% off at Target stores)
And now, it's time to get a friend who has my copy of Something Borrowed  to hurry up because there's a major motion picture in theaters to be watched!



1 comment:

  1. I am trying Jen, I'm trying. A tough transition from "The Help":)
    Ang

    ReplyDelete