Monday, February 22, 2010

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks


“You’re reading a Nicholas Sparks book?” asks my sister Rachel curiously looking up from her book Slummy Mummy (Fiona Neill, July 2008).


I picked up this book from a crowded bookshelf in my grandparents basement. Their basement has two bookcases that I am amazed have not fallen over from the weight of so many books! The receipt from Borders Book Store in Troy remained inside the book jacket, purchased October 31, 2006. Realizing that this was the same book that was now showing as a major motion picture in theaters, I thought it might be a good read for my upcoming trip to Florida. Upon arriving in Florida I saw the exact same book on the blue couch in our family room, my Mom was reading it too! Not familiar with Nicholas Sparks’ books, I pressed on.


The story begins in North Carolina prior to 9/11. John Tyree, 23, is a young man searching for his identity when he gives up on the lifestyle he has chosen (nights of binge drinking) and enlists in the U.S. Army. Upon returning home from Germany for a scheduled leave, John struggles to relate to his socially different father (he has Asperger’s syndrome and is the only remaining family that John has) and decides to walk the beach one day after surfing instead of returning home. He comes across his “damsel in distress”, Savannah Lynn Curtis. Savannah’s purse has fallen off of a dock and into the ocean. John jumps over the ledge in order to rescue the purse and charm this new lady.


The story unfolds of a long-distance romantic relationship separated by the Atlantic Ocean as John continues to fight for his country and Savannah works on educational degrees at the University of North Carolina. Just when it looks like John’s time in the army is nearing an end, 9/11 happens and John feels the inner desire and passion to re-enlist in the Army. At this point, he receives a letter from Savannah beginning, “Dear John…” (symbolic in many ways) and the rest can be found within the book!


Dear John is an easy but enjoyable read. I’m curious to see the movie now and wonder if the ending will change at all as it was not the ending I would have hoped for from Nicholas Sparks.

Will I read more of his books? Yes, probably… Grandma wouldn’t let me leave with only one!

2 comments:

  1. Love that you're doing this! What a great project, I've been unable to sink into a good read for a couple months...can't wait to try some of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for "Sarah's Key" or "The Help" <- Both were phenomenal!!

    ReplyDelete